Women are flourishing throughout New Zealand’s construction sector, with 39 finalists in the third annual Hays NAWIC Excellence Awards reflecting the outstanding contribution being made by women across the industry.
The awards, to be held at the Aotea Centre in Auckland on August 18, celebrate the achievements of women in construction, along with honouring organisations which are actively working to redress the industry’s gender imbalance.
NAWIC president Donna Howell says the finalists are blazing a trail for others to follow, while showcasing the huge variety of career opportunities for women in construction.
“We had over 80 entries this year which made it very difficult to select the finalists from among so many talented women.
“It’s inspiring to see increasing numbers of women having such a huge impact on New Zealand’s growing construction industry.
“The finalists are a truly outstanding group of women who are committed to excellence while giving back to the wider community.
“We’re excited to celebrate their success at our awards ceremony.”
Tickets for the 2017 Hays NAWIC Excellence Awards are available at
For more information visit www.nawic.org.nz.
Finalists in the third annual Hays NAWIC Excellence Awards are:
• The Helen Tippett Award: Becky Macdonald (Beca), Laura Clifford (Hawkins Construction), Pam Bell (Prefab NZ), Robyn Phipps (Massey University), Sue Bradley (Beca).
• Tradeswoman of the Year: Laisa Pickering (Electrix Ltd), Lisa Lawrence (Basically Floors Ltd), Melvina Browne Uriarau (LiveWire Electrical), Tina Mehlhopt (Honeybone Builders), Verena Maeder (Solid Earth Ltd).
• Professional Woman of the Year: Andrea Williamson (Fletcher Construction), Andrea Jarvis (Holmes Consulting Group), Carolynn Marot (CPB Contractors), Donna Bridgman (GHD NZ Ltd), Hayley Tribble (Tripro Ltd), Lana Duboka (AECOM), Rachael Rush (Klein Ltd).
• Outstanding Achievement in Design: Esther Loh (Beca), Sheila Karimi (Beca), Sian France (Beca).
• Excellence in Construction Administration: Bev McKay (Registered Master Builders Association), Carolyn Jane (Signature Residential Ltd), Sophie Lackey (Leighs Construction Ltd), Sally Davis (BCITO), Sarah Greenwood (Respond Architects), Emma Cushnie (Fulton Hogan).
• Rising Star Award: Steph McLeod (Stantec NZ Ltd), Harriet-Rose Follas (Beca), Jordan Kirk (Fulton Hogan Ltd), Stephanie Cerpa (Contract Construction), Vikki Stephens (Beca), Willien Irvia (Rawlinsons Ltd).
• Student/Apprentice Excellence Award: Emily Sutton (City Care Ltd), Nikita Ward (Hutt Gas and Plumbing Systems Ltd), Amritpal Kaur (AUT), Fahimeh Zaeri (AUT), Gillian Linton (Arvinda), Lisa Brook (Signature Homes Ltd), Megan Burfoot (AUT).